Read our April 2017 posts on stateandlocaltax.com or read each article by clicking on the title. For the latest coverage and commentary on state and local tax developments delivered directly to your phone, download the latest version of the Eversheds Sutherland SALT Shaker app.
- SALT Pet of the Month: Lexie
Lovely Lexie is owned by Eversheds Sutherland Associate Jessie Eisenmenger. Lexie is approximately 10 years old, and Jessie adopted her in 2013 from the Anne Arundel County Animal Control shelter.
- Arizona DOR Determines That Taxpayer’s Software Services Are Not Subject to Transaction Privilege Tax
The Arizona Department of Revenue (Department) issued a taxpayer information ruling stating that a taxpayer’s gross income from transactions provided through the use of computer software is not subject to tax under the personal property rental classification for Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax purposes.
- Maybe Next Season? Georgia Tax Bills Collapse in Last Day of Session
The Georgia General Assembly passed significant tax legislation impacting selected industries, but failed to pass a number of broader tax bills.
- Not So Fast: Tennessee Chancery Court Prohibits Department of Revenue from Enforcing Sales Tax Collection By Out-of-State Retailers
On April 10, 2017, a Tennessee Chancery Court ordered that the Tennessee Department of Revenue is temporarily prohibited from enforcing a regulation that requires out-of-state retailers making annual sales in excess of $500,000 to collect and remit sales tax.
- US Supreme Court’s Ruling Bolsters Taxpayers’ First Amendment Right To Pass Through Fees (and Taxes)
A recent US Supreme Court decision on surcharges strengthened taxpayers’ First Amendment rights when deciding how they present pass-through fees and taxes to their customers.
- FEATURED EVENT: TEI’s Audits & Appeals Seminar
Eversheds Sutherland is delighted to participate in a full-day program on Managing State and Local Tax Controversies (May 3, 2017) during TEI’s 2017 Audits & Appeals Seminar. Register today and join us!
- FEATURED PUBLICATION: Eversheds Sutherland SALT Scoreboard Publication – First Quarter 2017
Eversheds Sutherland SALT releases the fifth edition of the “SALT Scoreboard,” a quarterly publication that tracks significant state tax litigation and controversy developments and tallies the results of taxpayer wins and losses across the country.