- No Expressions of Goodwill from Arizona Department of Revenue
An Arizona Department of Revenue hearing officer determined that the gross receipts from a taxpayer’s deemed asset sale pursuant to I.R.C. § 338(h)(10), including gross receipts attributable to goodwill, could not be included in the taxpayer’s sales factor for corporate income tax apportionment purposes.
- California Court of Appeal: ITFA Doesn’t Make the CUT
The California Court of Appeal, in affirming summary judgment in favor of the City of Los Angeles, concluded that the taxpayer, j2 Global Communications, Inc., did not produce evidence to demonstrate that its purchase of telecommunications services was exempt from the City’s communication users tax (CUT) under the Internet Tax Freedom Act (ITFA).
- Round We Go: Indiana Denies Taxpayer’s Intercompany “Residual Profit” Deduction Citing Circular Cashflow
The Indiana Department of Revenue issued a Letter of Findings denying a taxpayer’s deductions for certain intercompany payments to a subsidiary management company.
- To Market, To Market: Massachusetts Adopts Market-Based Sourcing of Intangibles, Expands Definition of Taxable Services
On July 24, 2013, the Massachusetts Legislature passed the Transportation Finance Bill (H.B. 3535) over Governor Patrick’s veto, implementing three key changes to Massachusetts’ state tax system.
- The Show Me (the Allocation) State: Passive, Non-Missouri Source Income Allocable as Nonbusiness Income
The Missouri Administrative Hearing Commission held that a telephone company’s interest income received from its parent company was passive, non-Missouri source income and thus excludible from apportionable income as nonbusiness income.
- Second Circuit Categorizes Dial-Up Internet Services as Telecommunications for Federal Excise Tax Purposes
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit determined that dial-up internet services were taxable local telephone services when analyzing an Internal Revenue Service bankruptcy claim for federal excise taxes.
Feature Your Pet as Pet of the Month! Submit a photo of you with your pet and any fun details you would like to share toSALTTeam@sutherland.com for consideration for future editions of the SALT Pet of the Month.